Axovant has assembled a team with decades of combined experience in developing, obtaining approval, and commercializing drugs for central nervous system disorders.
David T. Hung, MD*
Chief Executive Officer
Dr. Hung has served as our Chief Executive Officer and as a member of the Board since April 2017. Previously, Dr. Hung was a co-founder of Medivation, Inc., a biopharmaceutical company, and served as its President and Chief Executive Officer and as a member of its board of directors, from December 2004 until its acquisition by Pfizer Inc. in September 2016. From 1998 until 2001, Dr. Hung was employed by ProDuct Health, Inc., a privately held medical device company, as Chief Scientific Officer and then as President and Chief Executive Officer. Dr. Hung served as a consultant to Cytyc Corporation from 2001 until 2002 to assist with transitional matters related to Cytyc Corporation’s acquisition of ProDuct Health, Inc. Dr. Hung served as a member of the board of directors of Opexa Therapeutics, Inc., a biopharmaceutical company, from May 2006 to October 2011. Dr. Hung received an MD from the University of California, San Francisco, School of Medicine, and an AB in Biology from Harvard College.
President & Chief Operating Officer
Ms. McCourt has more than two decades of wide-ranging experience at some of the world’s most innovative biopharmaceutical companies. She has extensive experience leading commercial functions, including medical affairs, business development, finance, human resources, legal, operations, payer-government, and sales and marketing.
- Chief Operating Officer of Medivation, Inc. from February 2016 until its acquisition by Pfizer, Inc. in September 2016
- Held multiple executive roles at Amgen including Vice President in U.S. Commercial Operations and Vice President and General Manager at Amgen where she was responsible for the bone health and primary care business unit
- Served in a number of roles of increasing responsibility during a 12-year career at AstraZeneca including ultimately as Chief Operating Officer for AstraZeneca US
- BS in Biology from Lafayette College
President of Axovant Sciences GmbH & Chief Commercial Officer
Mark Altmeyer has three decades of experience leading successful drug commercialization efforts as a pharmaceutical executive, with a particular focus on therapies for central nervous system disorders.
- Served as Chief Executive Officer and President of Otsuka America Pharmaceutical, Inc. from 2009-2014, leading 1,700 employees and growing total revenues from $2.6B to over $5B
- Led the launch of Abilify®, the top-selling CNS drug in history and the number 1 selling drug in the United States in 2013
- Held a number of executive leadership roles at Bristol-Myers Squibb, including Senior Vice President, Global Commercialization and Senior Vice President, Neuroscience Business Unit
- MBA from Harvard Business School; BA from Middlebury College
Lawrence T. Friedhoff, MD, PhD, FACP*
Chief Development Officer
Dr. Lawrence T. Friedhoff has a 30-year record of identifying promising drug candidates and managing all phases of their development, always with an eye toward fulfilling drug approval requirements. He has also managed post-FDA-approval activities including marketing-related, safety surveillance, and post-approval studies.
- Led the development of Aricept® (donepezil), the top-selling drug for Alzheimer’s disease in history
- Led the new drug approval team for Aciphex® (rabeprazole) for the treatment of heartburn
- Senior Vice President, Research & Development at Roivant Sciences, Inc.
- Formerly with Eisai, Squibb, and Andrx
- Author of the book New Drugs and author or co-author of many peer-reviewed publications in major scientific journals
- PhD from Columbia University in Chemistry; MD from New York University; Fellow, American College of Physicians
Ilise Lombardo, MD*
Senior Vice President, Clinical Research
Dr. Ilise Lombardo has fifteen years in the pharmaceutical industry leading clinical development and medical affairs programs across multiple therapeutic areas including neurological and psychiatric disorders. She has successfully managed clinical development, regulatory authority approval, and post-marketing activities. She is a trained psychiatrist, previously working in academic research and clinical practice.
- Vice President, Clinical Development and Medical Affairs, FORUM Pharmaceuticals from 2012-2015
- Led multi-therapeutic groups and development teams at Pfizer Inc
- Prior to entering the pharmaceutical industry, Assistant Professor of Clinical Research, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons and the New York State Psychiatric Institute
- MD from Yale University; MPhil from University of Cambridge, AB from Brown University
Gregory M. Weinhoff, MD*
Chief Financial Officer
Dr. Weinhoff has more than twenty years of experience in healthcare finance and operations, including as a venture capital investor, operating executive, and board member with Audit Committee experience.
- Partner at CHL Medical Partners focused on investments into start-up and early-stage companies across therapeutics, diagnostics, medical devices, and healthcare services
- Founding CEO of Amicus Therapeutics (NASDAQ: FOLD); subsequently member of Board Audit Committee
- Founding President of VaxInnate; President of Resolvyx
- Served in healthcare groups at J.H. Whitney & Co. and Morgan Stanley & Co.
- MD from Harvard Medical School; MBA from Harvard Business School (Baker Scholar); AB in Economics (magna cum laude) from Harvard College
** Employee and officer of Axovant Sciences, Inc.
** Employee and officer of Axovant Sciences GmbH