Axovant has assembled a team with decades of combined experience in developing, obtaining approval, and commercializing drugs for central nervous system disorders.
Chief Executive Officer
Vivek Ramaswamy is the founder and Chief Executive Officer of Axovant Sciences, Inc. and Chief Executive Officer of Roivant Sciences, Inc. Prior to founding Roivant, Mr. Ramaswamy was an investor in the biotechnology sector. In 2007, he co-founded and served as President of Campus Venture Network, a technology company that was acquired in 2009. He currently serves as Chairman of the Board of Directors of Arbutus Biopharma Corporation and a member of the Board of Directors of Axovant Sciences Ltd. and Roivant Sciences Ltd. He received an A.B. summa cum laude in biology from Harvard College and a J.D. from Yale Law School.
Lawrence T. Friedhoff, MD, PhD, FACP**
Chief Development Officer
Dr. Lawrence T. Friedhoff has a 30-year record of identifying promising drug candidates and managing all phases of their development, always with an eye toward fulfilling drug approval requirements. He has also managed post-FDA-approval activities including marketing-related, safety surveillance, and post-approval studies.
- Led the development of Aricept® (donepezil), the top-selling drug for Alzheimer’s disease in history
- Led the new drug approval team for Aciphex® (rabeprazole) for the treatment of heartburn
- Senior Vice President, Research & Development at Roivant Sciences, Inc.
- Formerly with Eisai, Squibb, and Andrx
- Author of the book New Drugs and author or co-author of many peer-reviewed publications in major scientific journals
- PhD from Columbia University in Chemistry; MD from New York University; Fellow, American College of Physicians
President & Chief Commercial Officer
Mark Altmeyer has three decades of experience leading successful drug commercialization efforts as a pharmaceutical executive, with a particular focus on therapies for central nervous system disorders.
- Served as Chief Executive Officer and President of Otsuka America Pharmaceutical, Inc. from 2009-2014, leading 1,700 employees and growing total revenues from $2.6B to over $5B
- Led the launch of Abilify®, the top-selling CNS drug in history and the number 1 selling drug in the United States in 2013
- Held a number of executive leadership roles at Bristol-Myers Squibb, including Senior Vice President, Global Commercialization and Senior Vice President, Neuroscience Business Unit
- MBA from Harvard Business School; BA from Middlebury College
Gregory M. Weinhoff, MD**
Chief Financial Officer
Dr. Weinhoff has more than twenty years of experience in healthcare finance and operations, including as a venture capital investor, operating executive, and board member with Audit Committee experience.
- Partner at CHL Medical Partners focused on investments into start-up and early-stage companies across therapeutics, diagnostics, medical devices, and healthcare services
- Founding CEO of Amicus Therapeutics (NASDAQ: FOLD); subsequently member of Board Audit Committee
- Founding President of VaxInnate; President of Resolvyx
- Served in healthcare groups at J.H. Whitney & Co. and Morgan Stanley & Co.
- MD from Harvard Medical School; MBA from Harvard Business School (Baker Scholar); AB in Economics (magna cum laude) from Harvard College
Marianne L. Romeo*
Head, Global Transactions & Risk Management
Marianne L. Romeo has more than twenty years of experience in insurance and risk finance in a broad range of industries including 14 years specific to healthcare. Since 2014 she has served as Head, Global Transactions & Risk Management of Axovant’s parent, Roivant Sciences Ltd., a biopharmaceutical firm dedicated to realizing the full value of promising drug candidates by advancing them from late-stage clinical development to commercialization.
- Head, Global Transactions & Risk Management of Roivant Sciences Ltd.
- Previously Managing Director and Head of Casualty & Healthcare Practice Leader at Bowring Marsh (Bermuda) Ltd.
- Established the Healthcare Practice within Marsh’s Bermuda operation
- Board Member of the Bermuda Society for Healthcare Risk Management (BSHRM)
- BS in Manufacturing Engineering from Tufts; MS in Occupational Health and Environmental Science from City University of New York, Hunter College
Senior Vice President, Clinical Research
Dr. Ilise Lombardo has fifteen years in the pharmaceutical industry leading clinical development and medical affairs programs across multiple therapeutic areas including neurological and psychiatric disorders. She has successfully managed clinical development, regulatory authority approval, and post-marketing activities. She is a trained psychiatrist, previously working in academic research and clinical practice.
- Vice President, Clinical Development and Medical Affairs, FORUM Pharmaceuticals from 2012-2015
- Led multi-therapeutic groups and development teams at Pfizer Inc
- Prior to entering the pharmaceutical industry, Assistant Professor of Clinical Research, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons and the New York State Psychiatric Institute
- MD from Yale University; MPhil from University of Cambridge, AB from Brown University
** Employee and officer of Axovant Sciences Ltd.
** Employee and officer of Axovant Sciences, Inc.